Wednesday, June 12, 2019

10 days to go...

I can hardly believe how quickly the big day is coming round ! It’s been a while since my last post, and I’m glad to say that my training hasn’t been as slack as my writing skills!

Sunday night saw my final long walk before the day! Me and the two Lee’s did a lovely loop down south starting in Ballasalla walking out past the sea side of the airport through to Castletown, Port St Mary, Port Erin and back the parish walk route from Rushen to Ballasalla. It was a lovely evening, similar to when I last walked it just before last years parish - very different to the weather that the Island experienced during the TT! It was a comfortable pace and I felt great at the end which is always a bonus.

We missed the bad weather by escaping to Alcudia and it was really hot! We decided to have a week off training, and just enjoy some sun and relaxation with the girls. So whilst we were there, there was no walking training, we still kept up our run every day, often after a few glasses of Prosecco (I was surprised to see that miles got quicker the more I had drank - but I’ll not try this in the parish). Dotty also let me take her for a daily walk down the seafront, it was a 3 mile walk to the marina and back and was supposed to be for her to nap, but she didn’t agree that she was supposed to sleep. It was an amazing holiday and I definitely came back feeling rested.


At this stage in training I always find it hard not to stick to my usual routine, and rest is something I am not very good at! I find that I start thinking about the course and how I am going to walk 85 Miles, it’s such a long way! All this time that I would usually spend training gets replaced with thinking about the walk.

Some one asked me how I count down the miles on the day, and I don’t as such nor do I count down the parishes. I split the walk into three to Peel, Ramsey and Home it sounds shorter this way! Each section I have walked many times before so it’s just a case of putting them all together.

It’s now time to get everything ready for the walk, it’s always hard to know what you will feel like on the day so in my experience I take lots of things, just in case! My trainers had their first walk on Sunday and after 17 miles they felt great, which I’m really glad off as my others are pretty worn out!


It’s now time to say bye to the trophy I have been holding for the last year, I am very proud to have my name on it, where it will always be, but it is all ready to go to a new home and I know the person who receives it will enjoy having it as much as I did!


10 days to go..

No comments:

Post a Comment

7th Parish Finish

Well the day soon came round, and passed just as quickly! We had a lovely meal on the Wednesday before, with a group of people I met m...