Thursday, April 18, 2019

Support

When you cross the finish line, you know that all your hard work has paid off and to an extent that is true .. but for me there is also the hard-work of all the people that make it possible for me to achieve what I do.

Firstly Lee, my husband we train together and walk together on the day, through the years we have both had ups and downs on the day, good and bad patches and having each other I honestly feel makes us stronger.

Me and Lee on his first Parish Walk

Shell and Alla (AKA Michelle and Allan) they have been our Shell and Alla since Caitlin was a baby and couldn’t pronounce their names. - they have been my support since my very first attempt in 2007 I don’t know how I roped them in, but I’m glad I did!



Michelle and Allan will come out anywhere from Peel to Bride - depending on if I can rope someone else into, they patiently drive along waiting on me hand and foot. Nothing is ever too much trouble for them. They are perfect for me, I don’t like to know how others ahead of me are doing, so they don’t tell me. I give them a guide time I like to be at each church (usually scribbled on the race booklet at the respective church) they make no comment on how I am doing unless I ask.

They do not force me to eat if I feel sick or drink but they know if they suggest I have something I usually will take it from them as I realise they are more of aware of what I am eating and drinking than I am. They know if I’m struggling because I go quiet and stop smiling - and they will just reduce the distance they drive ahead of me so they see me a little more often.

They drive around through the night just to help me finish the parish walk, they get no trophy or awards for themselves, I honestly couldn’t do this without them!! They are as important to me as the training!

I also must mention Lynne, who usually supports through the Barclays stand before driving out to meet us at Roundtable and staying with us till the night team takeover. Lynne is always a welcomed sight, she helps keep us in good spirits up towards my least favourite part of the course.



I have tried support before, yes it’s easier in the respect that you don’t have to walk but harder in every other way, it’s boring as you sit in your car for long periods of time, you have to keep getting out of your nice warm car to pass over refreshments, you get tired and fed up as it is a long way ! So remember when you are coming through Maughold in the middle of the night that your support are tired too and don’t forget to speak to them how you would like to be spoken too. There is nothing I hate more than hearing people bark orders at their support, or forget basic manners as no matter how tired you are if you can keep on walking you can at least do it politely.

There will be times when you walk when your support have driven on a bit further than you will of liked, or not got you what you asked for quick enough but this is part and parcel of it (obviously this doesn’t happen to me as Shell and Alla are perfect) but it helps not to get annoyed by it, just think you have got a bit further down the road and passed a bit more time!

Obviously since I started taking part in the parish walk I have gone from 1 daughter to 3, so arranging care for them is no easy task we have a team of people who help including friends and my sisters ! We are very lucky to have such a great support team.

This week I have done a couple of walks 4 miles before the gym on Tuesday and 6 miles last night with Kathryn!

Happy Training only 65 days to go !

No comments:

Post a Comment

7th Parish Finish

Well the day soon came round, and passed just as quickly! We had a lovely meal on the Wednesday before, with a group of people I met m...