Monday, February 18, 2019

RunEveryDay

Firstly, apologies for my delay in posting, I have had a really busy couple of weeks, which included my daughter Dotty’s 2nd Birthday. When it comes down to training or writing about training, the training has to come first. It is one of those things in life that I just can’t delegate I have to do the training myself.

As the title of this post states RunEveryDay you may have noticed that I am running a lot, which is mainly down to my upcoming marathon but it’s also due to my Runstreak and No, this does not involve running naked through any public places. The official definition of a running streak is to run at least 1 Mile (1.61 Km) within each calendar day. Today I completed my 110th day of running. I was also surprised on Saturday with this lovely t-shirt from up and running that Liz and Tony bought for me, so I guess I won’t be stopping my RunStreak any time soon.

Back to Parish training, I have been putting in a few mile over the last couple of weeks, concentrating on shorter walks at pace, as my legs are starting to feel the effects of the ever increasing distance in my marathon plan.
I have scheduled an 18 Mile walk on Friday night, with some friends. We will be walking from Ramsey, Parish Walk Route to Onchan. I like this section of the walk, and it’s a regular route in my training. now I find it almost easier and shorter on the day as I know it so well But it hasn’t always been the case. Rewind to my 2008 parish walk attempt when I retired at Laxey, officially Maughold as I refused to continue to Lonan Church. My heavily pregnant sister got out of the car to try and help me as I was sitting on a wall at the side of the road, when I quickly moved to sit in her seat in the car, the next thing I know I am waking up outside my friend’s house in daylight. I said to our Marie wasn’t it dark when I stopped she kind of laughed and said that it had been, and for the last few hours they had been trying to wake me to get me out of the car so she could go home to Port Erin .. Sorry Marie.

In 2008 I was really surprised how quickly I went downhill, I had walked for around 70 miles feeling great, no bad patches but when I hit the wall, I hit it hard. There is only one word to describe how I felt after my second attempt and that was Gutted, I had really wanted to finish. I spent the following 12 months thinking of little else apart from completing the full 85 Miles.

I learnt in 2008 that if my support were to see me struggling, under no circumstances should they stop the car, let alone get out of it leaving doors opened or unlocked, so for my 2009 attempt I prepped my support that if I looked like I wanted to stop they were to drive on a mile and see how I felt then.
124 days to go

1 comment:

  1. Great blog so far Bernie, can’t wait to read the rest. Good to see you’re walking as well as running! Steph

    ReplyDelete

7th Parish Finish

Well the day soon came round, and passed just as quickly! We had a lovely meal on the Wednesday before, with a group of people I met m...