Saturday, March 9, 2019

A good week for the trophy cabinet

Since my last post we did a group walk from Ramsey, 8 of us set off on the bus to Ramsey for an 8pm start. We all arrived fully kitted out in lights and reflective gear, as it is a very dark route. Overall I have had better walks, this wasn’t down to the company but more to do with me throwing myself a the pavement just over a mile into the walk, when I got up there was no serious damage, my new 2XU leggings that were a gift off my daughter had survived so I carried on walking. Its not my first fall in a walk, I remember the last time I walked the Firemans Memorial walk I fell for my training partner Kathryn’s husband in the last mile, and wow did that hurt. We all finished the 18 miles and a few even managed a takeaway, and a glass or two of wine.


Another route I have done is a 5 Mile Hilly loop around Glen Roy, I think I went the least hilly way so I will need to go back and try it the other way. I think that for the parish it is good to put hills into your training as let’s face it the Parish walk route isn’t flat. I think this will be a regular route in this year’s training.

I do have some regular routes that I run or walk frequently, but with my longer ones I try to change them a lot so they are not too repetitive. I have been walking for a long time so know the roads on the Island pretty well, and I im quite good at working out distances from memory. If you are looking for some help with planning your routes the desktop version of Strava is great.

I also took part in the IOM Vets 20 Mile road race at the NSC last Sunday, it was 40 laps of the perimeter road. This is my second time of running the course, on the morning of the race I exchanged a few messages with Áine who is in the same running club as me, in the messages we decided we would be aiming for 8.30 pace so we would run together. We actually hadn’t ran together before but it worked well on the day, and we stuck together finishing with a PB for me of just over 2 and half minutes (around 25 seconds a mile quicker than planned) in a time of 2 hours 41 Mins and 42 seconds finishing as Joint 1st Lady.


This week saw the finale round of the Ramsey Bakery Fireman’s Runs, I ran the 5 Mile course which is 3 laps. After the run there was a presentation in the Mitre pub, where all the finishers of the league were awarded their finishers t-shirt and I even picked up a trophy for being 8th overall.


We have entered the Firefighters Memorial Walk on the 14th April, this is great practice for the parish as it is the route from Peel to Ramsey, it also gives you a chance to test out your trainers, food and clothing before the big day!

105 Days to go…

No comments:

Post a Comment

7th Parish Finish

Well the day soon came round, and passed just as quickly! We had a lovely meal on the Wednesday before, with a group of people I met m...