Friday, April 5, 2019

Hardest walk of my life... Part 2

Shortly after the e-mail about the cancellation a second email arrived advising us that there was a new venue ! Bellville Stadium, it was to be hosted on a 400m track !! The furthest I had ever walked on a track was 10k and that was far enough ! So whilst I didn’t relish in thought of 402 and a quarter laps it was a lot more favourable than travelling home without even attempting the 100 miles !

We arrived in plenty of time, probably too much time, it took all of 10 minutes to set up in the gazebo they had provided for International walkers and found a couple of chairs for Caitlin and Linda to base them selves.

It was so hot, we tried to find a little shade to sit and wait for the start, the stadium was very busy as the relay was a popular event.

As it was 100 years celebration for Nelson Mandela before the race everyone was invited to walk a lap of the track, I guess to do it before the walk was sensible as I wouldn’t of fancied it if they had added it on the end.

After the lap of honour and a short speech the race got under way, i started off with Andy and Jantinus.. it was a good pace, but I was worrying about the heat .. Andy left the group first to go to the toilet he then seemed to speed off we thought he was trying to catch up the little distance he lost but when he caught us up he just carried on motoring round. Next it was my turn to leave as I needed the toilet too ( the toilets were set about 50meters inside the track - I remember thinking I would of preferred it if they were right on the side of the track)

I felt ok just very hot for the first couple of hours but at around the 13 mile mark I started to feel very sick, I don’t normally suffer with sickness so this was a bit alien to me but I remember the thoughts going through my head, should I stop ? Was it acceptable to travel all the way to South Africa to walk a half marathon? - I decided it wasn’t so kept on going slowly .. at the 30 mile mark I started vomiting at the side of the track, I’m usually quite phobic about sick but it was a relief. The medics came over on their bicycles and told me I looked awful and asked if I wanted to stop. Stop? I smiled and said "no way I feel great now!" They made me drink some water and then I carried on.

I would say I had a good next 20 miles, just getting the laps in. I was happy and I would say I was enjoying it. At around the 50 mile mark the sickness came back and I was vomiting again at the side of the track (an attractive sight I’m sure) the medics came back, but thankfully let me continue. Caitlin was an incredible help she would come running to find me when I didn’t make it to her in the usual time. For the first time in any event I had a little break and sat down I saw Stew Jones from the Isle of Man, and he looked in as good spirits as me, so I asked if he wanted to walk with me and we could feel crap together but we didn’t last long walking together as Stew decided to a break and I just carried on slowly plodding.

I can’t really recall much of the rest of the walk it was a bit of a blur, I know I visited the toilets a lot, as I kept feeling I needed a wee but I didn’t and each time it would frustrate me more as I had to keep detouring off the track - I don’t think it was dehydration as I did drink a lot.

The organisers provided Coca Cola and salted potatoes. I don’t normally have either when I’m walking but I did drink quite a lot of the Coke and at the time it tasted nice, it probably didn’t so my sickness any good but I just kept drinking it.

I kept my head down and carried on through the night was a relief from the hot sun, but the dark didn’t seem to last long and before I knew it the sun was rising !

I did eventually finish the walk in my slowest time of 23 hours 32 minutes and 51 seconds in the position of 3rd Lady and I was the 35th person to gain the African Centurion Badge!

Andy Green walked a phenomenal race, he didn’t appear to ever slow down - it was just incredible to watch! Andy was the overall winner finishing in a very impressive 20 hours 57 minutes and 39 seconds ! It was Andy’s first ever Centurion!


I got to the presentation which was held 2 hours after the race, I sat down at the table and just as the presentation started, I started to feel terrible I got up and managed a few steps out of the tent where I collapsed and passed out, I woke up having the medical team testing my blood sugars and force feeding me a banana and some awful drink! Caitlin thankfully took my place in the presentation and had her photos taken with my certificate and badge !

I started to feel better and we decided to get an Uber back the apartment, it was hot in the car I nodded off but not for long I awoke feeling sick yet again I said to Caitlin I was going to be sick and I believe I tried to open the car door whilst we were driving, Caitlin stopped me and Linda found me a bag, (the only bag she had was a food bag) thankfully the driver has noticed I wasn’t well and was pulling over just in time for me to get the door open before I stared vomiting again! When I had finished I laughed at the food bag .. I didn’t get back in the car, thankfully we weren’t far away from the apartments so Caitlin and I walked back ! I did feel much better.

When we eventually got into out apartment I had a shower and fell asleep still wrapped in my towel I remember waking up a few hours later thinking what just happened ? I couldn’t even remember if I had finished or not so after a quick scramble around the room I found my certificate and badge and got back into bed hardly able to believe I had actually achieved it !

Caitlin and I travelled home the next day, we popped to say good bye to Andy and Linda who were amazed at how well I looked after the day before. We were super lucky the flight home was so empty and we were able to have a row of 4 seats each and slept the majority of the way home !

Africa Centurion complete .. 3 down - 3 to go



That’s all for tonight, tomorrow we are travelling Across for the Manchester Marathon on Sunday!

78 days to go ..

No comments:

Post a Comment

7th Parish Finish

Well the day soon came round, and passed just as quickly! We had a lovely meal on the Wednesday before, with a group of people I met m...