Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Fireman's Walk

This was my longest training walk to date, and I was super happy with it! Lee and I decided we would treat this as a training walk as we had both done a lot of running, but little in the way of walking training compared to other years!

We started very casually at the back of the pack - it was nice and relaxed, albeit a little cold as we didn’t bring any jackets ... we had a plan to stick to 12 minute miles for the distance and just get the 50k completed.

I’m not a huge fan of the route (it’s the middle section of the parish and from Ballaugh to at least bride, I just never seem to enjoy it or have a good time). Whilst I didn’t feel sick in this walk I was massively under prepared. I blame the fatigue I have felt since last weeks Marathon.

Normally with any long events, I do all the planning including race entries, including what we will eat and drink, I do all the shopping, pack the clothes , medical supplies and anything else we may need, however as this was a training walk in my head I let Lee get on with it, whilst I made a lasagna to go in the oven when we got home, along with a new pasta recipe for tea.

Lees packing for the day reminded me exactly why I do it all, I air on the side of caution I take a lot of things just incase .. Lee on the other hand packed the bare minimum and we didn’t even have a drop of water left at the end, all energy gels were used and there were no alternatives if I didn’t fancy his pre-mixed drinks.

My shoes disappointed me slightly as I got a blister on the inside of my left arch and I found the Ball of my right foot uncomfortable. I did think I had a blister there while I was walking but when I got home there was nothing. But it has left me wondering about what shoes to wear for the parish. I don’t know if my feet have got used to the luxury of brooks cushioning, that I wear for running! I used to wear the Asics DS racers, which have been discontinued. Then I moved to the Saucony Fastwitch so now I’m unsure .. (Lee will say this is just an excuse for me to buy new trainers!)

I’m sure in the walk I was not the only person to notice how awful the pavements are from Kirk Michael to Ballaugh and Sulby to Ramsey, although I did enjoy a stroll down the new cycle lane..

Normal training will resume now with a couple of short walks this week, and a long walk at the weekend. We finished the walk in 6.04 not a PB but about 15 seconds quicker a mile than we had planned, we couldn’t of done this with out Nicola supporting us and Vicki looking after the mini Johnson’s - Thank You !

Also I must mention the amazing walking from James Quirk and Jayne Farquhar on winning the firefighters Memorial walk - what incredible times.

Not forgetting my Husband and my good friends Liz, Leanne, Angela, Caroline, Denise & Lee Cowin who are all doing amazing in their parish training! And a special mention to David and his bloody feet, I guess that’s what happens when you walk zero miles in training! David is getting married later this year, and has a special reason for taking part. His wife to be Sophie, is the daughter of Sara Killey, the race is held in her memory.

Not to mention my eldest daughter just passed her driving test! Safe to say I have a new support member!
Happy Training !

67 days to go

No comments:

Post a Comment

7th Parish Finish

Well the day soon came round, and passed just as quickly! We had a lovely meal on the Wednesday before, with a group of people I met m...